Thursday, April 26, 2007

Wildcat Adventure


Chancy's nose is a marvelous thing . I took her down by the old Wildcat Creek adventure started. Sniffing everything, her attention zeroed in on an old fallen tree limb . It was huge. I tried to see what was making her so frantic. Nothing caught my eye. She kept jumping and barking with her head pointed skyward. Trying to get her attention away from whatever it was didn't happen. Then she kept pulling me till I was standing on the huge limb. My weight caused the limb to move . Faint noises were heard. Chancy was going crazy. Moving the limb would not be easy for me but I moved it I little bit. No noises were heard. “Come on lets go home” I told her.
We were walking to the truck when sounds came from the woods. They alerted Chancy's senses. She became extremely quiet listening for the sounds. Then the sound came again. It was like a high-pitched shrill and closer yet. My nerves were beginning to breakdown and Chancy was ready to go after it. What should I do? If I let here go after it I may never see her again although she always comes back when she gets loose at home but this ain’t home. The sounds came again. It could be a baby screaming or a mountain lion. I decided to let Chancy go after it. Reaching down to let her loose, I said a prayer.
Hi-Ho Silver away. She went toward the sounds straight into the woods. All of the sudden “QUIET”. 5min. 10min. 15min. . Second thoughts entered my mind. Have I lost my marbles Surely she wouldn’t give up a life of luxury for some unknown mystery.. Calling her was useless.
Her nose had taken over all her other senses. She will find whatever was making those sounds or die trying. Then I heard the never ending barking. She must have encountered her prey . I had to get to her one way or another.
This is not worth having a heart attack over so I walked toward the Chancy’s barking. Louder and louder it got. I can’t see her yet. Will I ever get to her.
Finally I caught a glimpse of her trying to climb a tree. I yelled at her. She came to me and ran back to the tree. Reaching the tree I looked up to see a family of raccoons. Little ones to great big ones. Get out from under the tree or they will pee all over you.
We finally went home where Chancy collapsed for the next few days.

16 comments:

Andrea said...

Ohhhhhhhh the suspense!!!!!!!

Dale said...

Wait till you read the ending.

enN2sp said...

Can't wait to hear!

alli-gal said...

I wanna know what happened!!!!! Don't leave us all hangin' like that!!!!

Andrea said...

Let's start betting....what do you think it is?

Andrea said...

It's too early for baby bunnies isn't it?

Andrea said...

Boy! This is getting GOOD!!!!

Dale said...

The end is near as soon as my swollen index finger feels like
typing, you will love the unbelievable adventure ending.

alli-gal said...

Does your swollen finger have anything to do with the ending??????

alli-gal said...

I hope those raccoons didn't pee on her!!!! I like the picture of Chancy and Sissy together :-)

enN2sp said...

That Chancy like her adventures.
Can't wait to hear the next
Adventures of Chancy the wonder dog!

Andrea said...

That's really good! I can only dream of living Chancy the Wonder Dog's life! Queen by day, devoted companion, and part time hunter. What an exciting life?

Andrea said...

Hey Dad & Allison,

See if you remember this.

Think back to Lake Freeman.

Mary Helen, sitting on the back deck of their cottage. She's laughing really loud and probably a little drunk. She gets out of the lawn chair and suddenly a strong stream of something comes shooting out of the tree and into the chair she just left??????

Yep, a raccoon pee'd all over the chair - it would have been AAAALLLL over her.

GaaaaaaaaaaaaaaG!

Dale said...

Yea, I do remember that. It was a fun time At the cottage - Raccoons peeing all over us. Where do you think the idea came from?

alli-gal said...

Wow...I don't remember the raccoon story, but I DEFINITELY remember lots of good times up there!!! All I know is I didn't like wearing my life jacket in the sand box :-)

I always loved fishing off the boathouse with dough balls!!!!

Andrea said...

Alli-Gal, you were only 9,000 feet from the water's edge in that sandbox - you might have drowned!

Aunt Sissy couldn't take that chance!

:)

hehehe